May 13, 2008

The Tiffin Set



After I got off the "201" bus, I was walking towards my office when I saw a young man struggling with two really big tiffin cases. Now these are the traditional tiffin sets; with steel and circular containers (5-6 in number), being held on their sides. Something similar to the image above, but much much bigger.


These sets came upto my shoulder and I am 5 feet 2.5 inches. He had one of that variety in one hand and in the other he held a hand made basket containing some unwashed vessels. He had stopped and seemed to be taking some rest.


I could not imagine him carrying that weight any further and just then he called for an auto that was traveling empty. He spoke for a while but apparently the auto driver had refused. The young man looked desolate but proud. I asked him if he needed any help. He refused as I had expected him to.


He then lifted the tiffin sets and trudged on and I walked on, albeit a little slowly a little ahead of him. After all he would expect me to walk faster as I had no luggage on me. And I did not want him to think that I was watching him. After a few steps I heard a crashing sound. He had dropped the big set. I decided then that I would do something. I went up to him and told him firmly, I will hold one side while he could hold the handle on the other side.


He just looked at me, said nothing, But he did not object. And how could he? I had lifted the handle with my left hand and he had no option but to pick the other end ;)


While walking, he told me that it was the fourth auto that had refused to accommodate him. I asked him how much further the hotel was.He indicated a location that was somewhere behind my office. I said I would walk with him. Moreover it was not very heavy, now that the weight was distributed.We made good progress. Then I stopped some 15 meters before the hotel and told him I had to get to work.

He said he could manage from there on. I said “Take Care” and he said “Thanks”.

I sent a silent prayer to God that he be given an opportunity to get to a better position.

2 comments:

Arun said...

Few have the gift of infusing so much life into such mundane incidents - only to be later narrated in such a gripping style... Some of ur posts bear a refreshing semblance to R.K.Narayan's 'Malgudi Days'... You can someday surely hope to write for a larger audience...

But one line did raise my eyebrows-and that relates to a mention of ur height ! .. 5 feet 2.5 inches!!!! You shall barely cross my hip lady!!!:D... hehe! but carefully chosen platform heels, the closest friends of the fairer sex, especially those that rise lower than the Indian average, should do the trick I guess ... :D....

VasuDev Behere said...

Great work!
I never remember doing such a good deed in my life!

Keep working. God will definitely bless you!!