May 16, 2008

One way or the other

My office is in Silk Board and I travel by bus everyday. There are two places I can alight, to get to work.


One is at the Silk Board traffic signal (Purple Line) and the Silk Board bus stop (Blue Line).


In the past, I have taken both routes. But I realized that there was a difference.


About the Signal

Background Details : The waiting time at this signal is close to 15 minutes. And when the signal changes to “GREEN”, only the first lot of the vehicles who are in the fore, get to move ahead. By the time, the second lot get near the signal, its “RED” and there starts the wait again.


Route 1 – Getting of at the signal

99% of the times I have gotten off here.


Now alighting here is not a safe option for the fact that most of the vehicles who have been zooming behind the bus, might not expect the passengers to get off.


However, this having become a routine, I guess all drivers are cautious when there is a bus ahead and don't try overtaking from the left side just to get ahead and wait for the signal :) and thankfully there have been no incidents in all the 2 years I have been traveling.


So I get off at this junction, walk till the signal, take a U Turn and cross the road. Then I go straight ahead and take the left at the bridge(over the drain). The entry to the bridge is a sudden big upward slope. In the rare rare event I bring my car, I maneuver very carefully on 1st gear.

So when I am at the bridge, I usually turn around and see that the bus I alighted from is still waiting for the signal to change.

Now the road after the bridge is so botched up that it cant be called a road actually. It is bumpy,has many ups and downs, potholes,stones and a drainage also on the side. It takes some skill to walk here., but it is an interesting road.

I once saw camels here. I have seen 2 cars skilfully try to drive along horizontally, failing which one backs off and lets the other move ahead.

Once during heavy rains, the dirty waters from the drainage were swirling here with such force that a colleague and I who held hands and braved that road, were waist deep in water and were thrown back many a time. And the lone electric pole was spewing sparks finally having gotten some attention after years of neglect.I thought I was going to die.That was some experience.



Ok so this walk on the "interesting" road lasts 15 minutes and I reach office. Now to the next route


About the Bus Stop

Background Details : If for some reason you are unwell some day and don't feel like walking, you could sit through the waiting time at the signal and choose to get of at the bus stop. So, after some 15 odd minutes, you are at the Silk Board bus stop.


Route 2 : Getting of at the bus stop


Getting off is the easy part. This road being very wide has a median dividing it.


This side of the road( on which the bus stop is situated) – just a little after the yellow coloured Silk Board icon on the map, has vehicles traveling towards BTM.


The other side of the road has vehicles going either straight to the Outer Ring Road; or taking the left to reach Madivala / Koramanagala.


It always has happened on all occasions when I have taken this route that I get to cross the road till the median very comfortably.


This is because of the signal which has all other vehicular movement to a halt. From this side of the road, I see all vehicles on the other side waiting patiently for their signal.


And just when I get to the median the waiting vehicles will start rolling and there will no moment of peace after that.


Just as the Silk Board Signal has waiting time of close to 15 minutes. These vehicles get a clearing time of some 20 minutes.


When I finally get to the other side, despite my not having walked much, I am exhausted after 15 minutes of sitting in the bus(@ signal). Add to it, standing on the median for another 20 minutes. Total waste of 35 minutes.


My Preference and Parallels


I prefer the Route 1 despite it being difficult because I know I am reaching my destination irrespective of the woeful road.


Route 2 is indefinite. My waiting time is indefinite. My temper is on its rise because all I am doing is waiting for the vehicles to stop; a situation thats not in my hands.


Life is similar. Its better to take the route where we we know we are in the right direction. We know we are getting there, even if it seems difficult at times, to continue walking to our destination.


Simply taking the easy route and waiting for things to fall in place, happens once in the rare event that we get fortunate. Its a once in a blue moon event. Enjoy it while it happens. But never expect it to happen every day without some hard work.



PS: I have removed the map. Will put a clear one with proper directions soooon :)





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understood the philosophy at the end, didn't get the diagram at all.

And I am supposed to be an engineer!

puranjoy(formerly Daneel)

Arun said...

Just wondering why would almost ALL your posts have to revolve around ur bus journeys... I m sure there is much more noise inside ur head that is waiting to find its way out :)

VasuDev Behere said...

Thats true. The solution that appears stops us from thinking better and easier solutions that may be actually available, so we dont try the hard road.
U say u get down at Silk road signal, how many more signals are there before that. Is there a pathway between the signal -1 or -2 that will bring u to ur office in lesser walk time to reach, I dont know u can make a try. All the best.
Vasu