May 4, 2005

The week

Well my exams got over and after two days my upstairs relatives left to

Ooty. So I had the house all silent for the whole week.... me my
granny.

However this posed a problem for my perfectionist grandmother. Before i
continue..... A short insight on my granny

My granny gets up at 5 in the morning. Boils milk cooks for the entire
clan that includes her daughter, me, my uncle, aunt, and their school going kid.
Then she proceeds to cook for the morning and noon session also. Then
she makes coffee once the entire family is up which is at 7.30...
Meanwhile she does not rest a bit, keeps folding clothes and doing all
small things.

Come afternoon she dries up the clothes of the entire household and
folds them too. This is in short about my grandmother whom I adore for
her never saying die spirit.

The downside of all this is "She gets to do almost all the work at
home".
Well i plan to take her away from all this in a year, when i get my
employment.

So in the time that my relatives were on vacation, there posed a
problem. The washing of clothes in the washing machine. Now my aunty
thinks no end of herself and assumes nobody is even half as good as
her (and yet she makes my gran do all the work).... So she asked my gran
to take the clothes downstairs and wash it and again carry them
upstairs... that woman needs spanking i swear it....

I entered the scene and laughed at this horrendous idea and told I’ll
take care of it and use their electricity only...the look on her face
was preposterous ha ha ha ha.....

My granny has always been wary of modern gadgets. She likes to learn
about them but finds it a little overwhelming...
So once they left i took over the clothing section when my
perfectionist granny wanted to learn how to do it... So i taught her on
one condition... "That she pretends not to handle that gizmo when that
lazy woman was around" and she agreed happily like a kid who had been
given a balloon.....

She must be washing away to glory now, that amazing woman who wishes
good only for everyone.... She also has her bad side... she does not
know that it is ok to come late and is quite safe... but that’s a very small part of it... I love her however she is

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are the best :). Even after having arthritis and a paralytic attack, my grandma never reduces the pampering we grandkids receive from her.she still always has to make all the goodies me and my cousins love and just seems so happy after seeing us happy. its truly amazing.
I hope you get a great job and your wish gets fulfilled.

Ashwin
www.infinitelimits.blogspot.com

Vasu the terrible said...

Cant agree more. I think, Grandmas have a sense of serenity. When I look at my grand ma, I always smile instinctively.

vasu

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. Sad how they talk abt Indian culture to be so family oriented and stuff... and here ur nice Grandmom is made to do all the work. Ur Aunt does deserve some spanking. I hope u keep ur promise of taking ur Nani(Grand mom) away from all this jhaanjhat when u get a job :)

Another Indian guy with an awesome Granny!

Unknown said...

my granny passed away few months back...
they do sooo much without hopin 4 anythin in return...

nice job soumya...u wrote abt ur granny...

hope u get enough strength to fulfil ur dream(alas!!my dreams remained a dream:()...gd luk

SANKAR SALVADY said...

Nice one Sowmya.. i never had this fortune though...

SANKAR SALVADY said...

And hope you kept your vow of taking ur grandma out of her daily chores.