August 16, 2018

RUN MIA…. RUN

RUN MIA…. RUN. 

5:51 am: Those were the words in my head, as I ran in a state of panic, jumping over people, avoiding their hands and feet strewn around in their sleep state. 

BUT WHERE WAS I RUNNING TO? 

Well, rewind to the day or even the hour before….. when life was peaceful and I had no idea of the horror that was about to unfold.

SUNDAY NIGHT

I was taking the early morning Shatabdhi to Chennai, the next day, an official visit. 


Whenever I know I will be away from home awhile, I usually tend to clean the house more vigorously. So I started my routine, as usual. 


I did one round of laundry, folded clothes, dusted the tables/chairs,  smoothened the bedspreads, sorted the utensils and took out the trash. 

I decided the outfits, travel gear and packing boxes. I downloaded some choice books from AMAZON KINDLE, and a couple of documentaries from NETFLIX. Since I travel often, I knew what items to throw in, and what to discard. I made short work of it. Like a boss.


I then watched the season finale of EL CHAPO, and felt sad for him (all the while mentally comparing him to the more charismatic PABLO ESCOBAR and the billions he was worth) and retired to bed.


MONDAY MORNING

My train was at 6am, so I called for the OLA at 5am. The driver promises he will be there in 10 minutes. I get dressed and do the last minute cleaning up / hanging of towels. It is like a compulsion - not too severe, but there nevertheless.

It is 5:10 and the OLA app says he is 5 minutes away. I mentally calculate the drive time and think to myself, I am sorted. 

It is 5:15, and the app still says he is 5 minutes away. I call the driver, and he refuses to pick. I keep trying thinking he is finding his way to me. But my gut says - something is amiss, and make alternative plans. 

I try to book another cab ride, but all cabs are 15-20 minutes away at which time my train would have left the station for sure before I even completed 1 km of my ride. It is 5:25am and the cab is still 5 minutes away. I am panicking and considering other options - like taking the car (or) cancelling the entire trip and taking a later flight/train.

I miraculously find an OLA auto and book it. He is at my apartment gate in 5 minutes and we leave at 5:30am. Google Maps says I will reach by 6:05am. I think to myself -  I am so screwed. 

I am freezing in the morning chill and covering my ears with my granny socks so I don't fall sick. I am anything if not prepared. 

I beseech the auto driver, to increase the pace, albeit take me safely to the station. He says ma’m I will ensure you reach by 5:50am - will that help? Its the best he can do - but I know its not enough for me and I need to put my running shoes on. 

My friend, calls and says - Take Platform 6, thats where the train is coming. I thank him profusely, wish him a great birthday and ask him to have fun. I continue to be nervous so he hangs around on the phone without much talking. 

Its 5:49am and I am at the entrance of the station, thinking a few more minutes and we will be in. Maybe I can make it. The driver then drops the bomb - Ma’m autos are not allowed through this gate, I have to go around. 

I stopped short of crying out loud. Gate 1 was the closest to the escalator that would have taken me up faster. Going around was going to cost me a few more minutes. AAAARGH

I am in my run mode. I take off as soon as he stops, at the place farthest from the escalator. 

RUN MIA…. RUN. RUN FASTER WOMAN.

5:52 am: I AM RUNNING AS FAST AS I CAN, I almost hiss back to that inner voice!!

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE EATEN THAT CHOCOLATE BAR. LOOK AT YOU HUFFING AND PUFFING. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU EXERCISED YOU LAZY ASS? 

5:54 am: My boobs are weighing me down, and I think about those sinful desserts I wolfed down during the weekend. 

WHERE ARE YOUR FRIENDS WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

5:55 am: My bags are weighing me down, and I think about my absent friend aka my baggage chauffeur, but who had given this time a miss since he was out celebrating his destination birthday in Jaipur. 

ESCALATOR, WHERE ARE YOU?
I spot the escalator, take few steps at a time, and am on the overhead bridge, running, turning my head vigorously trying to get my eyes on the platform.

PLATFORM 6, PLATFORM 6
Where the hell was it? My bags are cutting into my shoulders, my chest is heaving, I feel a pain in my ribs, a stitch in my tummy, I am sweating - another first. I am definitely dying today. 

The headlines are going to read - ENTHUSIASTIC, COMMITTED BUT NOT-SO-FIT EMPLOYEE, RISKS IT ALL FOR AN OFFICIAL VISIT. HEART GIVES AWAY IN PURSUIT OF TRAIN THAT LEAVES HER BEHIND. IT IS A CRUEL WORLD.

I actually laughed, at the last train of thoughts before I realised I have still not found my platform.

5:57 am: Found it. I run down to see trains on either side with sleeper class written outside. Alarm bells ring in my head. The Shatabdhi does not have a sleeper class. It is a day train with reclining chair seats. Where the hell is this stupid train?

I immediately run up the stairs, and hear on the communication system that Shatabdhi train is ready to leave from Platform 7 shortly. 

I COURIERED A HEX TO JAIPUR TO MY FRIEND WHO I AM SURE WAS TRYING TO KILL ME WITH UNNECESSARY EXERCISE. 

While I am running towards Platform 7, I am thinking how his tombstone would read: Born - August 13th; Died - August 13th mysteriously. 

5:59 am: I have managed to get down the stairs, without breaking my leg. By now I have reached the first coach, but its not mine. Mine happens to be at the other extreme end, from where I am standing. With a minute left for the train to leave, I didn't care which coach I entered. 

As the train leaves the station, with me on it, I bulldoze through sliding doors, get my arms workout, cross almost 8 coaches with my 2 bags over either shoulder, get my steps for the day on my fitness app and finally reach my coach looking like a terror - My hair is damp and clinging to my face, neck and shoulder, I am sweating (yuck), my slippers seem to have something sticky (yucky) on them - must be all the trash cans I crossed had somehow left their imprint on me, my jeans have ridden up and are exposing my calves. My nose is runny, my mascara is runny, my liner is all over my face giving me the koala bear look. 

Doesn’t matter to me (a definite first for me). I give myself a hi-fi and a kick to that negative inner voice. 

Never had I felt more alive, and victorious :). Ouch - my ribs, ok ok maybe I still need to get that exercise. 







No comments: